Thursday, March 31, 2011

Honey Roasted Rosemary Potatoes

Ever have one of those weeks where you did everything right and things just seemed to come effortlessly together?
Yeah, me neither.

Somehow the planets lined up to include the following in just a handful of my days:  Catering a tea party for 18, starting a new job with lots of techie stuff involved, and my boy getting on a bus to Fort Dix, the jumping off place for soldiers headed to Afghanistan.  I'm not going to lie and say that meditation is making the stress go away.  This is one of those weeks that even baking can't take the edge off.

But I'm fortunate to have friends and family about, and a girl has to eat, so if you've got a minute and you're wondering what's for supper at your house, I'll share this simple, earthy-sweet dish with you.  It comes via Mark F., a friend of the family and former chef for a local winery, who graciously shared the recipe.  I used to drive 45 minutes to lunch there, just thinking about these potatoes.

Recipe for Honey Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
4 medium to large potatoes - leave the peel if it's nice, don't if they're Russets
honey
vegetable oil
fresh or dried rosemary
salt and pepper

First, cut the potatoes into 1-inch or so chunks, then parboil them not longer than 5 minutes.  Drain.  Preheat the oven to 450 while you place the potatoes into a medium glass baking dish.  Drizzle generously with the oil (don't soak them but to keep from drying out, I estimated 3 tablespoons), then honey in about the same measure.

Today, I was fortunate to have some honey my sister had given me when she cleaned out her cabinets before moving far away (told you it was that kind of week).  The honey was pale and floral and made the dish lighter tasting than usual. Lovely.

Don't be stingy with the rosemary.  If you're using dried stems, it might be nice to soak them a bit first.  Either way, I sprinkled in a good tablespoonful.  Salt and pepper to your usual taste - I think potatoes crave a bit of S&P.

Gently fold all the ingredients together and bake for 15 minutes on the high heat.  At this point, I turned my oven to broil for another 10 to 15 minutes to get good caramelization of the honey on the potato edges.
Once, when visiting Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, I noticed potted rosemary plants by the front door.  The guide commented that as ladies' skirts brushed the plants, their lovely fragrance was released into the air.  Right now, my house smells better than that and even though nothing's changed, I've made it through Thursday and I hope you do the same.♥

1 comment:

  1. I love potatoes with rosemary, but I've never tried them with honey. This recipe sounds delicious. The creaminess of the potatoes and honey with the sharp fresh flavor of the rosemary. Can't wait to try this out. I have some baby potatoes from the Farmers Market that will be perfect. Yum! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete