Sunday, November 14, 2010

Visions of Gingerbread and Peppermint

With the turning of the leaves here in the Blue Ridge, the holidays cannot be far behind. If further evidence was needed - and I am not lying - I saw a Christmas tree lot in my neighborhood this week. And yes, the trees were already there.

In a year when things are not going well for a lot of folks and we seem to have more to worry about than usual, I'm thinking that putting up your holiday decorations in the second week of November is not a bad idea. Besides the faces of my children, few things perk me up in life like the site of fresh-scented greenery, red and gold ribbons and balls, and multicolored lights. And as my children will also attest, I'm no Scrooge when it comes to leaving that "blinking beacon" up until the Super Bowl has come and gone.

Clearly, I have attachment issues with holiday icons. Some years ago, I stumbled upon the answer to said issues in a wonderfully written and illustrated book by Sarah Ban Breathnach (the Simple Abundance author) entitled, Mrs. Sharp's Traditions, in which she describes a "seasonal tree" that is left up year-round and decorated according to each passing season. Can't you picture it? In spring, you could mine the hardware section for tiny gardening implements and flower-covered seed packets, or construct that perennial favorite, the Easter egg tree, and in July, flocks of American flags and firecrackers. February is too easy with all the red hearts and paper doilies that abound. Autumn gourds and Indian corn, cutout paper snowflakes in January. The inexpensive and creative possibilities are endless, especially if your favorite scene in Steel Magnolias is when Shelby throws the switch on Annelle's industrial light and magic show, and if you've noticed how cheap artificial trees are on December 26.

I did not give in to the temptation of buying a Christmas tree this week, as I have not yet decided between that lovely pine scent filling my home (with dry dead needles in January) or the gaudy, beloved, aluminum tree I've used the past few years, complete with rotating 4-color spotlight. However, I did get out my Mikasa Ribbon Holly china and, on the advice of an old magazine article I was reading, determined that I would use it throughout December, not just for Christmas Eve dinner.

One thing led to another and before I knew it, visions of Pumpkin Ginger Scones and Peppermint Tea were dancing in my head. The recipe below is adapted slightly from the TLC site "How Stuff Works, Biscuits & Scones." I substituted Greek yogurt for their sour cream and used ground ginger as I am not a fan of the texture of the crystallized stuff, even though, for my money, the lemony-peppery flavor is gorgeous.


Pumpkin Ginger Scones
1/2 C sugar
2 C all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
4 T cold butter
1 egg
1/2 C pumpkin puree
1/2 C Greek yogurt
1/2 t ground ginger (or 1/2 t grated fresh ginger or 2 T finely chopped crystallized ginger)
1 T melted butter + 1 T sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine first 6 (dry) ingredients in large bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender and finish by rubbing between fingers until coarse meal-like texture. In small bowl, beat egg and add pumpkin, yogurt and ginger until blended. Stir this into dry ingredients, gently, with a fork until soft dough leaves sides of bowl.

Again, gently, turn out onto floured surface and knead slightly so dough remains soft but not too sticky. (This is where plenty of people irreversibly change the finished scone into something tough and not at all tasty, by simple over-handling. Same with biscuits.) Ball up the dough and then pat into a circle about 8 inches in diameter; I like my scones and biscuits tall and light rather than flat. You can cut them into small circles or squares, but I like making 8 wedges out of the circle. Place each scone onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar, and bake 12 to 15 minutes. The original recipe instructed 10 to 12 minutes but my chubby scones required more like 15 to 17 minutes to finish. Cool 10 minutes on a rack while you make your favorite tea, and serve warm with butter, jam or clotted cream if you know how to make it because it is apparently as scarce as hen's teeth in this country and not at all authentic.

Like the seasonal tree, Celestial Seasonings' peppermint tea is something I keep year-round because it is not only delicious, but possesses wonderful stomach-settling properties when you need them. This time of year, it's even better with a candy cane in your cup.

And that tree lot I saw, it's over on Park Street if you're looking.

6 comments:

  1. How about a good substitute for the clotted cream that we can make ourselves? Would it be disastrous to use a leftover candy cane from last Christmas? Love Yah, Yo Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. These scones sound really good. You have great recipes so far, can't wati to see you grow. By the way I host a monthly event that you may want to join. It's called YBR and you can find all the info on my site. Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scones would be perfect for Thanksgiving brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, YUM! Those look delicious! I had to chuckle at the thought of the year round Christmas tree because it made me think of my old neighbor when I was growing up. She LOVED to sew and every month she'd sew different seasonal outfits for her plastic geese in her front yard. In the winter, she just moved them to her front steps so they wouldn't get covered in snow. One year she even made them snowsuits!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, everyone, and thanks for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete